Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I am bummed. We went to the doc yesterday for our normal check-up and though my blood pressure is low (it usually is) and my weight gain is right on target, I failed my glucose test. So the regular test which is a syrupy sweet drink that you have to chug down and then have your blood drawn exactly one hour later, will now become a 3-hour ordeal. I am hoping they can get me in Thursday since we are on vacation soon. I have to fast, go in for three hours in which they will draw my blood four times and make me drink twice as much of that gross drink. Let's just say that I have spent today reaping the results of the small drink yesterday coupled with the blood draw (3 huge vials). I am fearful of the aftereffects Thursday, especially with us having plans Friday. And if I fail this one then they determine me to have gestational diabetes. I don't know what all that will entail, but I do know they put you on a strict eating plan and monitor the baby closely because the baby tends to get too big too quickly. I'm trying not to worry too much since I know MANY people who failed their first glucose test only to find nothing to be concerned with on their second. So, I will save the freak out for Friday when I hear back from the doc. And I pray that all is good not only for the health of Breck but there's lots of fantastic things sure to be on the menu at my shower Saturday. I would like to be able to actually enjoy them all! :)

Other than that, all is great with Breck. You can tell he is getting bigger. His heartbeat just sounded so much stronger yesterday. And the boy moves around like he is hyped up on Mountain Dew! Well...yesterday he kind of was... But seriously, we are having debates about whether this child will ever sleep when he comes out because he is so active inside. And you have to love an appointment that starts with the nurse coming in saying, "You're not having contractions, are you?" It seems with the warmer weather hitting, two patients yesterday alone went into pre-term labor due to dehydration. The nurse then fussed at me about being sure to drink twice as much water and stay inside as much as possible. I told her I happily would but I hoped she realized that we would be at the beach next week. (She was a different nurse than the one we had cleared the vacation with in the first place.) So I guess I'll be hitting the library to stock up on good books for the heat of the day indoors and just enjoy sunrise (Breck wakes at 5 every morning any way) and evening activities outdoors. I don't care - I am just dying to get away for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment