Oh summer school...how I have a love/hate relationship for you! Last summer, Brian and I both worked summer school for the first time. It's good money and the new system is all online so it's pretty easy. It worked out last summer since we weren't doing much of anything except waiting for lil B to arrive and with invitro, we could put the extra money to good use paying off those medical bills. When the spring rolled around this year, I was faced with the choice of working it again or not. We couldn't both work since we wanted Breck to enjoy the summer with us and not have to pay for daycare since we're teachers and home anyway. When it came down to it, Brian even said to not worry about it and enjoy the summer with our little boy, but since we do still have these lovely medical bills and our financial goal is to be debt free by the time Breck starts kindergarten (which will be lovely because we won't have to afford daycare then either!), it seemed the best thing to do would be to work summer school. It is only four weeks of four days a week. The sessions last from 6:45-2:45 (at first I thought I would only have to work until 11:30 which made it much easier to agree to since I wouldn't miss as much with Breck's morning nap in there). In the end, they needed me for three sessions (and thank goodness by day 2, they decided that sticking me in a math classroom was STUPID!! and moved me back to English where I belong!!). I will admit, I have been a little whiney about it this week. I just feel like I am missing out on so much fun with Breck during the day and it defeats the purpose of summers off! Granted, Brian has mentioned that it is a bit more work than he realized now that Breck is quite mobile and he has him for 8 hours straight but still I've been a bit sad this week - that is until my wonderful husband reminded me that we could use face time during the day. What a brilliant idea! It changed everything because I can do what is best for our family by working but I still get to see my little boy. Here he is just playing away while I watch.
Brian will turn the ipad around so that I can say hi to Breck and when he sees me, his little face just lights up and he says Momma over and over again. He will usually crawl as fast as possible toward the screen and just jabber away like he's telling me all about his day. After a while, Brian will turn the ipad around so that he no longer sees me but with the camera on the back, I can still watch him play. This is helpful because after a while he gets upset that he can't grab the screen and touch my face - I truly believe Breck will grow up thinking the only way you talk to people is with video as well! We connect during the breaks between sessions and although it's not long, it still helps me feel connected to them throughout the day. Wednesday, I watched Breck do craft time with Daddy and Crayola's wonderful invention of color wonders - perfect for little ones! Overall, I know that these few weeks are a good time for Brian and Breck to spend together too since football starts up way too soon (actually the Monday after summer school is over and then B and I will have four weeks with just the two of us before school starts).

No comments:
Post a Comment