My boy is ALL OVER THE PLACE! Right after Easter, seriously it was the Monday after we returned, I get home from work and set Breck on the floor. Up to this point, we have been working with him to show him how much easier crawling would be if he would get on all fours instead of "army" crawling on his stomach and elbows everywhere, but he just collapses back to his tummy and takes off. Anyways, I set him on the floor, turn to set my own bags down and when I look over at him, he is on all fours and crawling for real - and fast! I instantly get my phone and shoot a short video so I can send it to Brian who was still at football practice because I know he wouldn't want to miss out on this historic moment. After getting some cute clips, I then get out the real camcorder for better footage. It was just one of those moments that you knew you would look back on with wonder. Since then, this little one seems to have sprouted up and is everywhere all the time. At his 9-month appointment, he measured 18 lbs. 9 oz. (a 2-pound increase since six months), and stretches out to 29" now (an inch and a half increase). Now that he is also pulling up on everything, people have commented a ton at how tall he is. He is in the 75% of his height but of course his lean build puts him in the 10% of what babies his age weigh. I believe that is due to genetics (my husband has always been long and lean), diet (I've been so grateful that everything has worked out well with breastfeeding because it truly seems like the perfect nutrition for him) and exercise (he is on the go constantly!).
Poor Breck showed up with another ear infection at his doctor's appointment. We went to see the specialist but at that time he only had fluid in his ears and we felt surgery where Breck would be put under anesthesia was a bit premature. Now that he is showing another ear infection though, we will go back to the specialist in a month and see where we stand. I know a lot of people get tubes put in - especially with boys - but we want to make sure this is the best thing to do instead of the status quo. We know friends whose children are older and have had more ear infections than Breck and their doctors have said they should still wait. I would feel much better if Breck was facing a surgery when he was already over 1 year old. What's crazy about his ear infections is that we never know he has them! He doesn't spike a fever or scream in pain. He only occasionally grabs at his ears so it really doesn't upset him at all. Breck has had a fever some this month but that has to do more with cutting teeth like crazy! He now has four top teeth and it looks like his canines want to break through next. So, now that we are up to six teeth, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with our lack of biting issues - and thank goodness!
Matter of fact, as far as issues go, Breck has done a great job listening to instruction and then obeying. We don't have any problems with him going to objects he's not supposed to mess with. You can say no and he listens and responds accordingly by changing his path away from whatever you told him no about. He is still napping well - he takes a 2 hour nap in the morning and the afternoons. His bedtime has turned into closer to 7:30-8:00 p.m. now because he decides he's tired. He still wakes at 6 a.m. like clockwork though!
Breck loves finger foods now. He will gobble up the puffs and has discovered the joy of cheerios. If you get the box out, he starts smiling ear to ear and clapping (a recently acquired skill). Oh and the boy now dances. It is hilarious. It looks like he is doing the sprinkler! For those that don't know what I'm talking about, he bends one arm at the elbow and puts it behind his head and his other arm is straight out - then he starts bobbing his head and pivoting that arm back and forth. It always makes us laugh. I'm going to try and get that on video next! He still loves all things Mickey Mouse and since his daddy surprised him with a Mickey Mouse doll one day that talks, he grabs it and giggles all the time. Breck still eats like a champ though he's had a few days where his love of cheerios and puffs overshadows his desire for real food. We discovered our stupidity of giving him a few puffs while we were getting his meal together and then watching him throw a fit and refuse to eat. Without snacks present, he magically devours the food without problem. He has accepted meats into his regimen but Breck seems to be more of a vegetarian - he gobbles up the fruit and vegetables but not so much with the meats. Since he's been eating cheerios, we figured he might want bites of food - so far he makes a weird face and moves the stuff around in his mouth, not really sure what to think. He did have a bit of hamburger the other night and liked it but didn't go for the hot dog the night before. Breck tried some sorbet the other day and absolutely loved it. People have been trying to sneak him snacks - unhealthy ones - and we have put our foot down on that. I know Breck will not live his life without junk food, nor do I want him to be deprived of that but I do think sweets should be in extreme moderation. There's tons of good stuff out there that isn't junk food! We're still wading through how to fight that battle - especially when it seems that every holiday or celebration is surrounded by candy and dessert. We don't want Breck to feel like he's deprived or missing out but I also don't want him to be like so many other kids I see who eat poorly...enough of that soapbox! We just know with the more foods he is starting to eat, the more that battle will have to be fought and I'm just trying to get a good idea of what balance to strike.
Breck talks all the time - still a lot of babbling - but he distinctly calls out Momma! He wasn't feeling well one weekend and even had to be picked up from school early. When I called Brian to check on him, all I heard in the background was my crying baby and Momma being said over and over. Brian said he had been doing that for hours. It just broke my heart because I couldn't get home from work fast enough. When he saw me, he just threw his arms around my neck and giggled while saying Momma - like "Finally! You're here!" He has started to say Momma more too when other people have him and he wants me instead. Warms my heart but it might hurt theirs ;) He says Da-Da too but often calls Brian Ba-Ba instead. I ask Breck if Dad has been a bad boy and that's why he calls him ba-ba. He just laughs and says it more. We think he is just mocking us because he hears us say no to Winnie or bad Winnie when she does something wrong, so usually he sees her and says ba-ba. It's funny that in his mind his Winnie girl and his daddy are both misbehaving! Probably not far from the truth!
Breck loves toys now. It's like a whole new world of discovery and he busts out the toy box every day. We have a little ottoman in the living room that has a lid that comes off. Thankfully, most of his daily toys fit in there and then hide away under the end table. My type-A personality couldn't take toys everywhere all the time. I like it that they disappear from view and my house looks normal again when he's done playing. Breck loves to fly through the air like he's superman. He pulls up on everything and can now climb things as well. We broke out the baby gate for the stairwell just this week. Breck loves the fact that we have a pool right outside our backyard. We have been frequenting it. The other day Breck tried to dive out of our arms, flattened his body out so he was on his tummy and started kicking and moving arms and legs just like he's been swimming forever. Guess we better look into those swim lessons soon! He likes watching all the little kids play at the pool too and just sits and laughs. We especially love that about daycare - that he has had interaction with other kids and just loves it.
As summer begins, I know there will be so many more new discoveries - and I'm excited to be around to see them! We just know he'll be walking soon. He has his first airplane ride coming up in June too. Lots of fun ahead!

Sweet.
ReplyDelete