It seemed like an unbelievable moment of deja vu Monday evening as Midnight started acting strange. Hours later, she is still panting loudly, will not sit in one place for more than a few moments and has started to convulse if you touch her. By midnight, I made the all-too-familiar drive to the animal ER by our house only to hear that our sweet girl was in congestive heart failure. Her tongue and gums had turned purple from lack of oxygen so they immediately put her in an oxygen chamber. X-rays showed an enlarged heart (about twice normal size), an enlarged liver and fluid filling her lungs. We knew days like this would be in our near future because Midnight and Tigger are turning 13 this year but I never expected that four days after losing Winnie, I would be saying goodbye to my baby girl that has been here since the beginning of our life together. It is unbelievably sad around our house - way too quiet. And poor Tigger is just lost completely without the friend she's had since she came into our lives. Tonight was the first time we both left the house since Monday evening, so it was the first time Tigger had to go to her cage by herself. I was so nervous the whole time we were gone because she's never been alone and she is already anxious about going to her cage, even with Midnight and Winnie right there. She seemed to be ok when we got home - thank the good Lord! So we are definitely hugging our baby girl tightly and cherishing whatever time with her we are blessed with. We sure feel the hole in our hearts left by the passing of Winnie and Midnight though. I liken it to the story, Where the Red Fern Grows. The young boy loses his dog unexpectedly and within days, he loses the other dog from a broken heart - she just wouldn't eat and moped about. I always pictured that's how things would go with Midnight and Tigger because they were so close. I never expected the passing of Winnie to have the same effect. It makes me smile to think of Winnie and Midnight running around heaven together though. Sure miss my girls!
Look how little she was when we first got her in 1999.
Wow - we were definitely a young family starting out 12 1/2 years ago.
Midnight made the transition to a Texas girl pretty easily.Such a funny relationship Midnight and Winnie had. Some days they were friends and other days they just seemed to live to annoy each other.
This is one of my favorite pictures of me with my sweet baby. Brian bought her as a wedding present for me. Best present ever! Of course, Tigger was his wedding present but really they both turned out to be my babies!
I imagine this is what Midnight looks like when smiling!
What a great baby girl Midnight was. When my heart felt so empty from not having a baby for so long, these girls were always there by my side loving on me and being my children. I feel so blessed to have had such a full life because of them in these past 12 1/2 years. I know my life will never be the same without my little black and white Chihuahua. Love you Midnight!
















Im so sorry Chrissy. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteChrissy, I had no idea. My heart is breaking. All my love and prayers. A
ReplyDelete