Friday, May 7, 2010

6-Month Checkup

We had our monthly checkup today. Breck is continuing to do well! Some checkups are anticlimatic - blood pressure, measure, heart tones, etc., but I still love getting to hear his little heart beat away! (That's all the video at the bottom is - the recording of his heartbeat.) Even knowing the appointment would take a whopping 10 minutes, Brian took off the morning just to be able to hear his little boy for a few seconds. He has steadily grown stronger so Brian has enjoyed getting to feel him kick on occasion. Boy feels like he is dancing away in there but oftentimes by the time Brian puts his hand there, he stops! I find it quite distracting to be in the middle of teaching grammar and Breck just starts kicking away. Don't know if he is trying to tell me to stop with the grammar lessons already or that he is preparing to become a scholar. I prefer the latter but Brian just rolls his eyes at that suggestion. At the beginning of my pregnancy I ended up losing 10 pounds from being so sick and as of today, I have officially gained six more pounds, bringing my total weight gain to 10 in 6 months. That's right - he's growing but technically I'm back at 0! I like the sound of that - especially after my oh-so-honest 8th graders greet me on a Monday morning with, "You look huge today!" Uh, thanks...

We have spent the past few days shopping around for a learning center. I say learning center because we really don't want to put Breck in daycare. Daycare to me is just a glorified babysitting service where they collect a paycheck and count the hours until you pick your child up. We want Breck to be in a wonderful, nurturing environment where I am assured his safety and learning are at the forefront. I think we have finally found a place that meets those needs. We were both really impressed with Primrose because they have a daily curriculum that begins even at 6 weeks of age. Our little one will learn sign language and they focus on spatial recognition, language acquisition and music theory, in addition to activities intended to develop motor skills. As he grows, so will his curriculum. They encourage elements of language, math, science, art, etc. on a daily basis in a structured, well-disciplined environment - which Brian and I love! They are a bit pricey, but I think it is well worth the cost to have people working so closely with Breck. Here's their website link: http://www.primroseschools.com/schools/main.aspx?schoolID=55

I am so excited about Mother's Day! It is my first one with my little boy. And I've been spoiled already via his daddy :) Brian got me my mother's
ring a while back. I love it! It says: Faith, Hope and Love - which is just perfect. So, he went and got it engraved the other day with "Breck's Mom." And then he gave me my really special gift. He wrote a song for me and Breck AND recorded himself playing it on the guitar and singing it to us. I already have it downloaded to my phone. Breck and I love listening to it. Of course Brian is steadfast in the claim that he doesn't sing well but he is an amazing writer and so accomplished as a guitar player already! And I love hearing him sing because it is an outpouring of his love to us. Ok - I'm sure he is embarrassed that I've mentioned it at all but everyone deserves someone that loves them and their child that much! :) We are both so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment